Saturday, February 9, 2008

Tarrus Riley...Raising the Bar on Consciousness


Reposted From http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog&pop=1


Tuesday, October 23, 2007

This for some may be like those most dreaded words in journalism: old news. If not, please do yourself a favor and check for Taurus Riley's Parables asap.

I straight slept on this guy. Despite some earlier industry buzz, it wasn't until recently that I truly picked up Tarrus Riley on my higher ites radar. It didn't take me long to notice either, once I slowed down enough to appreciate, that here, not unlike with I-Wayne, was something and someone extra special in this music. I was literally stopped in my tracks once I put "parables" in regular rotation.

Having always been partial to the conscious artists of any genre, whether reggae, hip-hop, rnb, or whatever, I was immediately drawn to listen more keenly and for some reason have not been able to stop doing so yet. It's now my daily routine to start off at around 6am with a medley of tracks like Stay with You, Something Strong, Lion Paw, Parables, and Africa Awaits, as I set my final mood before heading out my front door almost an hour later. It's crazy, but this is one of the most captivating artists I've heard. Similar to Bob, Tarrus is so positive I just automatically keep goin back for more. It's like an addiction where I simply cannot get enough...lol!

I have since come to overstand too that one of the goals behind this sophmore effort from Riley, (he actually has another cd out already) was his desire to bring healing to the sick souls of the people. If my transformation in the morning, from dead tired to brimming with joy, is any indication, then it is safe to assume it is highly probable the brother will likely succeed in meeting his goal. He's become for me so far something like that soothing balm in Gilead that I like to refer to...Part of the reason I listen in the morning is that it helps me to steel myself against the blows awaiting my daily sojourn outside my front door, especially the Beware track - wicked. It's to the point that I'm getting a higher capacity mp3 player so I can take a ton more Tarrus tracks with me everywhere for more mental reinforcements throughout the day.

It's obvious to me also that many of the Parable tracks are of potential legendary status on par with some of the greatest tracks of all times in Reggae Music. Though I've been extremely busy trying to complete my program at Cal, even that didn't keep me from stopping for Tarrus, and, if you know anything about Cal, that's saying a whole lot. But seriously, if you haven't checked for Tarrus Riley and the Parables, you'll be missing a great one. So go deh Str8! Ya dun know! And don't sleep, like I almost did...One.

No comments: